Published February 21, 2018 16:41
Kids Korner Daycare is a not-for-profit child care centre licensed by the Ministry of Education and has a purchase of services contract with the City of Toronto. The daycare provides early learning and care to children ages 2.5 to 12 years.
The mission of the Club is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.
Position: Registered Early Childhood Educator (RECE)
Start Date: ASAP
Nature and Scope: The RECE will plan and implement a program for children ages 4-5 years old, incorporating the ELECT document, the How Learning Happens document and observations of children into their program plans. The RECE will follow the requirements of The Childcare and Early Years Act, the City of Toronto's Early Learning and Care Assessment for Quality Improvement document.
Reports to: Daycare Supervisor, Kids Korner Daycare
Hours: Monday to Friday 2-6 PM; 8-hour shift on PA Days and March Break
- Participate in planning and preparation of programs that reflects physical, intellectual, social and emotional development of children in accordance with the How Learning Happens, The Childcare Early Years Act and the Kids Korner Daycare Centre's philosophy
- Plan daily activities and objectives for all curriculum areas
- Use a variety of teaching techniques including modeling, observing, broadcasting, questioning, demonstrating and reinforcing
- Is aware of and promotes each child's physical, social, emotional and intellectual development
- Familiarize him/herself with specific information about each child as recorded in the child's personal file
- Complete developmental profile for each child as required by Children's Services Early Learning and Care Assessment for Quality Improvement. The developmental profile will include samples of child's achievement and work.
- Observe children's progress and behaviour to ensure programs meet identified individual and group needs, adjusting program plans as necessary
- Prepare a developmentally appropriate environment by ensuring safe, clean, sanitary play equipment and areas - indoors and outdoors
- Gather materials necessary to carry out planned activities (books, pictures for circle, trips)
- Introduce and describe activities to children. Supervises and interacts with children in the activities.
- Organize and maintains space, equipment and materials including decorating and setting up the environment to reflect the children's interests and developmental needs
- Carry out programs and daily schedules and facilitates smooth transitions
- Participate in the evaluation of the program and recommends new activities and/or modified programming to improve effectiveness in meeting developmental needs of children
- Help create and maintain an environment where children feel safe and secure to explore and express themselves
- Provide emotional and physical support in all circumstances (conflict resolution, separation anxiety)
- Carry our plans for individual special needs of child (behavioural, emotional and developmental)
- Implement behaviour management policies and procedures established by Kids Korner Daycare Centre
- Guide and support new children into the program through a gradual admission process
- Establish rapport with parents, informs re:progress, and encourage involvement on a daily basis
- Respond to parent/designated family members enquires regarding their child's progress, behaviour and health, while maintaining confidentiality at all times
- Provide written and verbal information (progress, daily charts, sleep patterns, accident reports, schedules and plans)
- Participation in staff meetings
- Daily communications of programs, schedule changes and children's issues to other staff and supervisor
- Develop and support working relations with other staff and supervisor
- Inform Supervisor of supply and equipment needs/or request
- Input and coordinate contributions to monthly newsletter
- Maintain confidentiality of all information related to Kids Korner Daycare Centre's children, parents and staff
- Demonstrate working knowledge of current developments in the childcare field
- Close Kids Korner Daycare
- Occasional overtime may be required/other duties may be assigned
- Operates equipment consistent with Kids Korner Daycare Centre's requirements (cots, stove, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, washer, dryer, and computer)
- Setting up the playground for outdoor activity
- Carry or move moderately heavy items
- Stand for extended period, and work at the height of children
- exposure to: bodily fluids, infectious diseases, frequent high noise levels, occasional inclement weather
The right candidate will have the following education and skills
- Early Childhood Education Diploma/Degree/Member of the College of ECE
- CPR and First Aid Certificate with infant and Child CPR, Clear Police Reference Check
- Experience working with children preschool and school age children and their parents
- Management experience in a Childcare setting
- Proven ability to implement program as per Centre's curriculum approach
- Experience working with special needs children
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and multi-task
- Self-motivated, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, good organizational skills, patience, self-control, tact, sound judgment, discretion, sensitivity and a positive outlook
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, and sound judgment when handling unpredictable situations
Interested in applying?
Interested applicants, should submit a resume and cover letter by Friday, March 2nd, 2018
Attention: Sarah Davis - Daycare Supervisor
Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club is committed to employment equity. We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.