Published June 06, 2018 13:31
The Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club has established a strategic alliance with Vito Maida, President, Patient Capital Management Inc. to annually provide a $1,000 Math or Science scholarship over the next 10 years. The scholarship is named in honour of the late Armando “Army” Aiello, who like Vito, was a Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club member. Vito, as Army did, feels a sense of commitment for the support and sense of friendship staff and volunteers provided while he attended the Club. Armando believed education was the cornerstone of
democracy. This scholarship is a testament to the person he was - always caring. Armando would he happy to know that as part of his legacy that started in 2016 and for 10 years, children will be empowered by a scholarship named in his honour.
Annually, one scholarship will be granted to a successful Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club member, staff, or volunteer. This boy or girl must be starting or planning to start post-secondary studies in a math or science program within 12 months of the new academic year.
- $1,000 awarded toward year 1
- The selected candidate will be notified no later than July 31, 2018
- The scholarship is to specifically support tuition and/or other post-secondary costs
- Post secondary is recognized to mean a learning institution that is fully registered as such including University, College, Vocational School, and any other institution beyond high school that provides a degree or certificate
- The scholarship will be held in Trust by the Club in a legal banking entity until the recipient demonstrates acceptance to a recognized post-secondary institution
Criteria and QualificationsThe student (nominee) must:
- Be nominated by a senior staff member or management
- Complete the personal statement/contact information page
- Attach one letter of reference from a non-family member
- Be enrolled in Grade 11 or 12
- Looking or has been accepted into a Math or Science program at a post-secondary institution